The iconic Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks show is on the East River again this year and the show begins at approximately 9:20 p.m. More details about the show are available at https://www.macys.com/social/fireworks/. As part of the Independence Day celebration, the Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation, along with Cornell Tech and the Franklin D. Roosevelt Four Freedoms State Park, invite you to join our family-friendly viewing spots at Southpoint Park, the Cornell Tech campus and at FDR Four Freedoms State Park.
Please carefully review all of the event details below.
You do not need a ticket to view the fireworks at Southpoint Park or at Cornell Tech’s campus. You must register online to receive a free ticket to the fireworks viewing at FDR Four Freedoms State Park. You can register for up to FOUR free tickets PER HOUSEHOLD, using your name, home address, and email address. Children ages 4 and under do not need tickets.
Individuals registering multiple times will be eliminated from the system and WILL NOT RECEIVE TICKETS.
General online ticketing will open at noon on Friday, June 29, 2018. To register for tickets please go to rioc.ny.gov and click on the Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks banner.
If you are attending the FDR Four Freedoms State Park ticketed event, please print your ticket or show your confirmation email on your smart phone to collect a wristband for entry. Wristbands will be distributed inside Southpoint Park, outside the west gate of FDR Four Freedoms State Park. You will need the officially issued wristband to enter FDR Four Freedoms State Park. This rule is extremely important for public safety. Anyone without a wristband will not be permitted inside. There will be no standby tickets available.
All those entering Southpoint Park and the Cornell Tech campus will need to go through security checks at the entrances east or west of Tram Plaza. Entrance for the ticketed space in FDR Four Freedoms State Park is first-come, first-served with wristbands. The official capacity for the ticketed event is 1,300 attendees.
Gates open at Southpoint Park at 5 p.m. and at Four Freedoms State Park at 6 p.m. All visitors will be subject to airport-style security. The Cornell Tech campus is open to the public throughout the event, however we reserve the right to stop further entry should the area exceed capacity and/or pose a public safety danger.
- Expect a 10-to-15 minute walk from all modes of transportation to Southpoint Park and FDR Four Freedoms State Park. There will be no Red Bus going south of the Roosevelt Island Tram Plaza.
- No seating will be provided at the viewing locations. Attendees are encouraged to bring blankets or folding chairs.
- Additional portable toilets will be placed throughout the Cornell Tech campus and Southpoint Park to supplement the park’s restrooms.
- Use of public transportation is strongly encouraged. No parking will be available on Roosevelt Island.
- No entrance is permitted into Four Freedoms State Park after 9 p.m.
EVENT PROHIBITED ITEMS
- NO alcoholic beverages
- NO beach umbrellas, tents, or canopies
- NO large coolers, oversized bags or backpacks
- NO grills or cooking
- NO fireworks, sharp objects, and weapons of any kind
- NO bicycles, roller skates, scooters, skateboards, or sports activities (Bicycles brought to the site may be chained outside the event area. Please remember to bring a chain and lock with you if you must reach the event by bicycle.)
- NO camera tripods and lighting equipment.
- NO portable audio systems or speakers. Music will be broadcast throughout the evening.
- NO glass bottles
- NO smoking
- NO bullhorns or noise makers
- NO pets other than licensed service animals
- NO littering
- NO tree-climbing, fishing, or feeding of wildlife
- NO climbing of embankments or seawalls
Individuals who bring any banned items to the event will be asked to leave them outside the security area. RIOC and its staff assumes no responsibility for unattended items.
ALL BAGS WILL BE SUBJECT TO SEARCH AND COULD PROHIBIT ENTRY.
Attendees will be able to purchase grill specials, beverages and Cornell Ice Cream on the Cornell Tech patio, as well as from several food trucks in Southpoint Park; including Dippin’ Dots, Wafels & Dinges, Paris on Wheels, Sweetface Snoballs and Nathan’s.
No food is allowed inside FDR Four Freedoms State Park, only water.
Starting at 5:30 p.m. in Southpoint Park, children’s activities and entertainment, including bounce houses, double inflatable slides, a balloon artist and face painters will be available. There will also be DJ music entertainment and a simulcast broadcast of the Macy’s Fireworks soundtrack in Southpoint Park.
Cornel Tech, Southpoint Park and FDR Four Freedoms State Park are located on the southern half of the Roosevelt Island, all south of the Roosevelt Island Tram Station. Visitors are strongly encouraged to use public transportation to attend the event. No parking will be available on Roosevelt Island on July 4.
- Subway: Take F Train to the Roosevelt Island stop. Follow signs to Cornell Tech, Southpoint Park and FDR Four Freedoms State Park.
- Ferry: Take the Astoria line to Roosevelt Island. Follow signs to Cornell Tech, Southpoint and FDR Four Freedoms State Park. The ferry service will end at 2 p.m. on July 4.
- Tram: Take the Tram at 59th Street and 2nd Avenue. Travel time to Roosevelt Island is five minutes with trams departing every 7 1/2 minutes. Exit at the Roosevelt Island Tram Station. Follow signs to Cornell Tech, Southpoint Park and FDR Four Freedoms State Park. If you take the Tram to Roosevelt Island from 59th and 2nd, you can use your MTA subway card. MTA subway cards are available at the Tram station in Manhattan.
- Bus: From Queensboro Plaza overpass, take the stairway down north side to corner of Crescent and Bridge Plaza North. Take the Q102 Queens surface bus to Roosevelt Island. Follow signs to Cornell Tech, Southpoint Park and FDR Four Freedoms State Park.
For guests with limited mobility who require assistance, golf carts will be operating on the Island; picking guests up at the Roosevelt Island Tram Plaza, and dropping them off at the security checkpoint outside Southpoint Park. RIOC staff will be on the ground between the Tram and the park entrance on the south end of the Island to help guests with directions and to answer questions.
Stay in the know and get instant notifications of all RIOC-related news. Sign up for ALERTS! on the RIOC website homepage.