Here is the latest update from New York State for March 23, 2020
Governor Cuomo’s Daily Remarks
Earlier today, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo urged Americans to be ’socially distanced, but spiritually connected’ during the time of the COVID-19 pandemic.
· VIDEO of the Governor’s remarks is available on YouTube here and in TV quality (h.264, mp4) format here.
· AUDIO of today’s remarks is available here.
· PHOTOS will be available on the Governor’s Flickr page.
Please keep in mind that our Red Bus Service may be operating on a Weekend Schedule, but our Public Safety Officers, Grounds Personnel and Facilities Staff are working constantly to maintain the quality of life on Roosevelt Island.
RI Senior Center Road Runner Classes
The Senior Center’s Road Runners Walking Group meets each day in front of the Senior Center (546 Main Street) at 10:00 AM for a daily walk around the island. All participants keep safe social distances from each other. All are welcome.
Team Sports Prohibited
Team sports such as basketball, football, softball, and soccer are not permitted in our parks at this time. Visitors must practice social distancing and keep six feet between themselves and others at all times.
Roosevelt Island Garden Club
The Roosevelt Island Garden Club has wisely decided to follow the governor’s directive to cease all public activities during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and close until further notice.
What You Need to Know from NYS
- New York State on PAUSE: In New York we know that Policies Assure Uniform Safety for Everyone.
- All non-essential gatherings of individuals of any size for any reason are temporarily banned.
- Department of Motor Vehicles offices are temporarily closed for in-office visits. Online transactions, including for license renewals, are still be available. License and permit expirations will be extended.
- The Army Corps of Engineers will begin construction on four temporary hospital sites in New York State in an effort to address imminent capacity issues - the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, and locations at SUNY Stony Brook, SUNY Old Westbury and the Westchester Convention Center.
- FEMA will erect four additional federal hospital facilities within the Javits Center. Each of the four federal hospitals will have 250 beds and come fully equipped and fully staffed by the federal government.
- Enacting Matilda’s Law to protect New Yorkers age 70+ and those with compromised immune systems
- Remain indoors
- Can go outside for solitary exercise
- Pre-screen all visitors by taking their temperature
- Wear a mask in the company of others
- Stay at least 6 feet from others
- Do not take public transportation unless urgent and absolutely necessary
- All barbershops, hair salons, tattoo or piercing salons, nail salons, hair removal services and related personal care services are closed until further notice.
- Casinos, gyms, theaters, retail shopping malls, amusement parks and bowling alleys are closed until further notice. Bars and restaurants are closed, but takeout can be ordered during the period of closure.
- Testing is free for all eligible New Yorkers as ordered by a health care provider.
- Your local health department is your community contact for COVID-19 concerns.