(AUGUST 19, 2019 – ROOSEVELT ISLAND, NY) In response to several complaints about speeding vehicles on the Island, The Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation (RIOC) is implementing several traffic safety measures designed to make the Island’s roadways safer for residents, stakeholders and employees.
- Some of the measures RIOC has already taken and will take in the immediate future include:
- Speed limits on promenades have been lowered from 15 mph to 10 mph.
- Failure of RIOC employees to observe all safety regulations, especially speed, will result in possible dismissal.
- New radar speed signs have been ordered and will be placed on the east seawall promenade. A temporary speed radar device will be moved there today.
- Bollards will be placed in designated areas to prohibit the public from driving on the east seawall promenade. New signage will also show where vehicles – other than official RIOC vehicles – are prohibited.
- All RIOC employees have undergone mandatory vehicle safety training in the past six months.