July 4, 2022- Holiday Weekend Guidance
As we look forward to celebrating Independence Day, the below guidelines will be in effect for the holiday weekend, beginning Friday, July 2nd, through Tuesday, July 5th for island transportation and RIOC-controlled open spaces and facilities:
- Tram - The Tram will run regular weekend service on Sat. 7/2ndand Sun. 7/3rd. Both Trams will be operating at full capacity. There will be no Tram shuttle bus.
- Red Bus – The Red Bus will run on its weekend schedule on Sat. 7/2nd and Sun. 7/3rd. On Monday, July 4th, the Red Bus will run on the weekday schedule and there will be no Octagon Express bus.
- F Train - Please plan your travel accordingly and visit MTA Info or call 511 for more information. For electronic updates on F Train service, sign up for MTA Alerts at MyMTAAlerts.
- Q102 Bus - The Q102 will not serve any stops on Roosevelt Island during preparation and viewing for the Macys 4th of July Fireworks. Buses will operate in both directions between 27th Ave at 2nd St. and Vernon Blvd. at 36th Ave., the last stop.
- NYC Ferry Service - Please note that ferry service across all routes will end early on Sunday, July 4th. For more info, go to: Ferry Schedules.
- CitiBike - There will be no Citi Bike stations available from Sunday, July 3rd until Tuesday, July 5th.
Please be aware of the following guidance for island parking and vehicular traffic:
Beginning Saturday, July 2nd at 11 PM through Tuesday, July 5th at 8 AM, there will be no street parking south of the R.I. Tram station. Additionally, parking restrictions will be implemented in the following areas:
- From the Meditation Lawn to 250 Main Street on the West side.
- Around the entire Cornell Tech Campus (East /West Loop Roads and North/South Loop Roads).
- In the vicinity of 250 - 281 Main Street.
On Monday, July 4th:
- Between 12 PM – 3 PM residents will only be permitted to travel North bound from the helix and into the Motorgate.
- Residents who need to park in Motorgate should arrive no later than 3 PM on Monday, July 4th to secure admittance into the garage. Monthly pass holders will have access to their reserved spots with proper ID beyond 3 PM.
- At 3 PM, there will be NO vehicular traffic on the island, EXCEPT emergency vehicles.
- Visitor parking at the Motorgate Garage will be limited to ensure adequate parking for residents and patrons with a monthly permit. Residents without a monthly access card should be prepared to show proof of residency when approaching the Roosevelt Island Bridge at Vernon Boulevard.
FACILITY & PARK CLOSURES
Monday, JULY 4TH:
- All RIOC administrative offices
- Southpoint Park
- Four Freedoms Park, unless you have a valid ticket to the Fireworks event
In addition, the Public Safety Department (PSD) will be patrolling the island, with extra patrols focusing on parks, recreation and transportation areas.
For further details on the Roosevelt Island Fourth of July Family Fireworks Celebration, please visit: July 4th Family Fireworks.
As a reminder, kindly continue to practice physical distancing, wear face masks/coverings in accordance with CDC guidelines (including wearing masks on public transportation like the Roosevelt Island Tram and Red Bus), and take other necessary precautions to minimize the risk of COVID-19 transmission, such as frequent hand-washing.
Have a safe and healthy holiday weekend!