The Roosevelt Island Tramway provides the most modern aerial tramway in the world, running every 7-15 minutes from 59th Street and Second Avenue in Manhattan to Tramway Plaza on Roosevelt Island.
Please note that the passengers must exit the tram at each stop (either Manhattan bound or Roosevelt Island bound) and pay again to return to the other side.
Hours of Operation
- Sunday through Thursday: 6 AM - 2 AM
- Friday and Saturday: 6 AM - 3:30 AM
- Morning Rush Hours (Monday through Friday): 7 AM - 10 AM
- Evening Rush Hours (Monday through Friday): 3 PM - 8 PM
- Holidays: Tram runs on a regular schedule, except for major holidays (New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day), during which the Tram runs on a rush hour schedule.
- Only MTA MetroCards are accepted.
- We follow to same fare structure as the MTA.
- Up to three children 44-inches tall and under ride for free on the Tram when accompanied by a fare-paying adult.
- Children more than 44 inches tall require full fare.
- While MetroCards are available for purchase at the Tram Station, there are no MTA booths at the station, vending machines are the only option available.
Strollers and Shopping Carts
- Must be folded upon request of the operator.
Dogs and Other Animals
- No person may bring any animal on or into the tram unless enclosed in a container and carried in a manner which would not annoy other passengers.
- This does not apply to working dogs for law enforcement agencies, to service animals, or to animals which are being trained as service animals and are accompanying persons with disabilities, or to animals which are being trained as service animals by a professional trainer. All service animals and animals being trained as service animals must be harnessed or leashed.
Please call the Tramway office two weeks in advance to give notification of a group trip at: 212-832-4555 or 212-832-4552 ext# 1702.