Outdoor movie series are a thriving summer tradition on Roosevelt Island and this year’s film schedule of sci-fi, comedy, fantasy and action – including record-breaking superhero blockbuster Black Panther - is arguably RI’s best.
The Roosevelt Island Summer Movie Series, which kicks off Friday, June 22 at the Island’s Southpoint Park, is free admission and includes contests and prizes, food vendors; a state-of-the-art sound system, pre-movie music, and a 40-foot-premium screen. The festivities begin at 7 p.m. and the movies start at sunset. Visitors are encouraged to arrive early and bring their own lawn chairs and blankets.
“Our movies are a great way for families and friends to enjoy a night on the Island under the stars,” said Susan Rosenthal, the CEO of the Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation (RIOC) which has produced the event for the past 10 years.
The 2018 RI Summer Movies Series dates are:
- Friday, June 22: Wonder Woman; (rain date June 29)
- Friday, July 6: A League of Their Own; (rain date July 13)
- Friday, July 20: Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi; (rain date July 27)
- Saturday, July 21: The Fifth Element; (rain date July 28)
- Friday, August 3: Black Panther; (rain date August 10)
- Friday, August 17: A Wrinkle in Time; (rain date August 24)
RI Summer Movie Series sponsorship opportunities are available and include:
- Sponsoring of specific film showings: includes ability to advertise in pre-show presentations, pre-movie on-screen advertising, and/or on-site signage
- Donation of trivia contest prizes or giveaways
Contact Jessica Murray, RIOC Community Affairs Department at 212.832.4540 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Movie series visitors are encouraged to take the iconic Roosevelt Island Tram, the new NYC Ferry Astoria line, or the F-train to Roosevelt Island, and then walk to Southpoint Park. Motorists can access the Island from the intersection of Vernon Avenue and 36th Street in Astoria, travel across the Roosevelt Island Bridge, park at the Motorgate garage and take a free Red Bus to Southpoint Park.
Stay up to date on all the events and happenings on Roosevelt Island by subscribing to Alerts at rioc.ny.gov.