- Keep front doors, patio doors and windows locked. If you have a patio, Burglar-proof your glass patio doors by setting a pipe or metal bar in the middle bottom track of the door slide. The pipe should be the same length as the track.
- Have your key ready before you approach your apartment door. Don't leave extra keys under doormats, potted plants or any other obvious outdoor location. Burglars will generally find them. Find an inconspicuous place to hide the keys, or give a set to a neighbor you can trust
- Store cash, jewelry and other valuables in a safe or safety deposit box instead of leaving them lying around the home.
- Do not leave notes on the door for service people or family members when you are not there. These alert the burglar that you are not home.
- Do not open the door for strangers until you have established their identity and purpose. Look through your door peep hole before answering the door and use the door chain when answering and before opening the door.
- If you cannot establish their identity, call PSD at 212-832-4545. We are open 24 / 7.
- Lock your door immediately upon entering your apartment and be sure your apartment door is dead bolt locked before retiring for the night or leaving your apartment.
- Be sure the entrance outside your apartment door is well lit and report any suspicious persons loitering or soliciting to PSD.
- If you feel unsafe during late hours, call PSD and we will walk you to your residence.